Norways most traditional and belowed porridge is well worth a try- its smooth and silky finish is well accompanied with cinnamon, sugar and butter.
Rømmegrøt | Sour Cream Porridge
5 dl sour cream (full fat)
2 dl wheat flour
5 dl milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
- Add sour cream to a saucepan, bring to a boil and let boil for five minutes with a lid.
- In another saucepan, bring milk to a boil while stirring continuously and set aside.
- Add half of the flour and blend well into the sour cream.
- Let simmer until butter starts to form in the sour cream, stir a couple of times to avoid burning.
- Use a spoon to remove the butter and place it in a small pan to keep it warm- this will be the butter on top of the porridge.
- Add the rest of the flour and stir until you have a smooth porridge.
- Add a bit of milk at a time while stirring continuously, making sure everything is blended well before adding more.
- Let the porridge simmer for another five minutes to remove the ‘floury’ taste.
- Add salt to taste and serve with cinnamon, sugar and the warm, melted butter.