Try the Norwegian traditional Rice Porridge this Christmas- combined with sugar, cinnamon and butter this is the perfect Christmas treat!
Rice Porridge is served all year with different condiments – during summer it’s usually served with cured meats and Norwegian flat bread and during Christmas it’s served alone. Remember to use any left overs for the Danish “Ris alamande” or the Norwegian “Riskrem”
Risgrøt | Rice Porridge
Yield 4 servings
2 dl porridge rice/ risotto rice
4 dl water
1 liter milk
1 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp sugar
4 knobs of butter
- Bring water to a boil and add the rice.
- Reduce the heat slightly and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the water has evaporated.
- Add milk and bring to a boil.
- Let the porridge simmer for an hour, until thick and creamy and stir once in a while to avoid burning.
- Salt to taste and serve with a knob of butter, cinnamon and a sprinkle of sugar.