My first new years eve- or at least the first one I remember, was with my late grandmother. I was a very careful child, being frightened of all things that had something to do with adrenaline. One of my biggest fears as a child was fireworks. Don’t get me wrong, I loved looking at them, being as beautiful as they are, but the sound made me nervous. The first new years eve I remember was my grandmother and I standing together in the far back- away from the rest of the family, watching the fireworks go up. She always kept her hand around me for safety- and that sure made me feel less nervous.
Every big party needs an extrordinary cake, am I right? I made this cake for a Norwegian magazine a couple of months back and I realized how great this would be for NYE! This Rye Spiced Cake has the taste of gingerbread, with the sweet topping of lemon, butter cream. This cake has a low amount of butter and sugar- and as it consist of rye flour it adds a good amount of fibre, making you eat less and feel more full.
If you are in need of a cake to make for your amazing New Years Eve party, why not impress your guests with this Nordic delight?
Spiced Rye Cake
2,5 dl honey
4 dl rye flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp cloves, ground
3 tsp ginger, ground
250g butter, room temperatured
1 lemon, zest
1 tsp vanilla sugar
300g powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celcius.
- Melt butter and set aside for now.
- Whip the eggs until fluffy and shift in the flour, vanilla sugar and spices.
- Stir in the melted butter and honey- and pour it into a cake tin (about 20 cm).
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until done in the center. Let cool completley.
- For the frosting add room tempered butter, vanilla sugar, lemon zest and powdered sugar in a food processor with a balloon whip and blend until white and fluffy.
- When the cake has cooled off- cut in in two and spread frosting on top of the one layer and place the second layer on top. Creating a lovely frosted center.
- Spread the rest of the frosting all around the cake and decorate with edible roses.