Vanilla Ice Cream with Rye Crisps & Blackberry Sauce
And here we are- the dessert from my Nordic Supper event which you can read more about here.
This ice cream dessert has it all- sweetnes from the ice cream, the crunch from the rye crisps and the warmth and tartyness from the blackberry sauce. It’s even topped off with a drizzle of Dulse, the amazing candylike seaweed!
When creating a supper I try and think about how I can reuse products during the dinner. When I prepeared the beer battered rye crisps, I decided to make one tray sweeter- to use on the dessert. Every meal should have a contrast to each other, so a touch of crispyness on a sweet, creamy ice cream is a perfect match.
It’s a celebration of the summer that has been and a welcome to the autumn that’s coming.
I had one thought in mind when choosing this dessert- I wanted it to be incredibly tasty, and what is tastier than a creamy vanilla ice cream covered in a warm blackberry sauce?
To make it you need an ice cream machine, but don’t worry- if you don’t own it you can simply go out and buy a good quality ice cream from a trusted brand. When buying, I like to consider where the products come from- is it organic and how is the animal welfare? This is something everyone should consider.
To make the rye crisps – click here.
Vanilla Ice cream with Blackberry Sauce
Yield 6 servings
4 egg yolks
4 tbsp sugar
1 vanilla pod
4 dl cream, full fat
400 g Blackberries, frozen
- To make the ice cream- combine egg yolks, sugar and vanilla seeds in a heat proof bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and place the bowl on top.
- Whisk constantly until the egg mixture becomes warm and the sugar has dissolved.
- Continue whisking either by hand or with a hand mixer until fluffy and peaks form.
- Whip the cream fluffy and fold into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a mold and cover with cling film.
- Place in the freezer until frozen solid.
- Put the blackberries in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Serve straight away with the lovely, creamy vanilla ice cream.
Want it simple? Buy a good quality vanilla ice cream!
Don’t toss the egg whites- freeze them for future use. You can make a pavlova or an omelette!
ice cream recipe from Matprat.no