Hapanleipä | Finnish Sour Bread
Yield 2 bread
175 ml water
5 g fresh yeast
120 g coarse rye flour
220 g coarse rye flour
330 ml water
330 g coarse rye flour
10 g salt
- Mix water and yeast in a bowl.
- Add the flour and blend well.
- Let sit at room temperature over night, without covering.
- Add the rye flour and water to the bowl and mix well.
- Cover and leave over night.
- Check the dough to make sure you have an active fermentation process going.
- If it's frothing and taste fresh and acidic- you've got it!
- Add the salt and the rest of the flour and transfer to a food processor or anything that you can knead bread with (you're hands are fine, but it takes a bit of work).
- Knead for at least 20 minutes on medium speed.
- Cover and let rise until double the size - about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work counter and divide into to pieces.
- Shape them into round cakes with a hole in the middle - about 4 cm wide.
- Cover and let rise once again for around 30 minutes.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees celcius for 30 - 40 minutes.
Recipe by MNK. at https://www.mynordickitchen.no/hapanleipa-finnish-sour-bread/