Egg nog for Christmas
Egg nog is not the typical Scandinavian drink – we do have a version of it, but we call it egg liquor and it’s not really the same. We also have a dessert that is whipped egg yolk and sugar, which can be somewhat close to this – but still, not. My family, on the other hand, have egg nog for Christmas every year. Why? because my stepmom is half American!
This is one of her many American traditions and I really, really love it. This has the perfect combination of being full, airy, light and so decadent. There’s a lot of recipes out there for Egg nog and I havn’t tried that many different ones – but I must say that this takes the cake! It’s easy and utterly delicious.
250 g powdered sugar
2,5 dl bourbon
1 litre full fat cream*
1 tsp nutmeg
- Separate the egg yolk from the whites.
- Add yolks and powdered sugar in a whisking bowl. Whisk until big, fluffy and stiff.
- Add bourbon.
- Whisk cream to whipped cream and carefully fold into the mix.
- Set in the fridge for and hour to get rid of the taste of “egg”.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into the mix.
- Serve immediately with grated nutmeg on top or store in the fridge until your guests arrive.
- Use lactose free cream for a low FODMAP version