Christmas is all about traditions, right? These coconut macaroons screams Christmas tradition for me and they taste absolutely divine. The sugar and coconut intertwine perfectly – and you would think they would be too sweet, with all that sugar? Not at all. The coconut balances out the sugar in some way, making it the perfect balance. The texture is wonderfully chewy at the bite – making it something you would want to cuddle up with in the couch with a warm cup of tea, or hot chocolate.
I hope you enjoy these – being one of my favorite Christmas traditions that I repeat every year amongst other things.
NOTE: These are indeed marked as low fodmap, and they are if you limit yourself to 30 g of shredded coconut. You can figure out how many by dividing the amount of coconut you use to the amount of macaroons you end up with.
5 egg whites
200 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
250 g shredded coconut (fine)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Add egg whites to a pot and lightly whisk until bubbles appear.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar and shredded coconut and turn on medium heat.
- Keep stirring until it looks like rice porridge – sticky and white. This takes around five minutes.
- Transfer to a baking tray and add a teaspoon of the shredded coconut blend. These will increase in size in the oven, so make them smaller than you’d think.
Leave a Reply