You know those mornings where time does the opposite of standing still? Those mornings where you don’t get a chance to savor the calm, silence it has to offer, where everything is a complete chaos because you overslept? I had one of those days a couple of weeks back- where all my morning rituals and ways to greet the day were interrupted by a chaotic, stressful morning where I had to make my beloved hour into twenty minutes. When these days happen upon me, I love to have a jar of overnight porridge in the fridge, just in case- because one would not want to eat under stress.
Luckily for me I could sit down and eat my breakfast in peace before my day started properly when I arrived.
This particular overnight porridge is filled with all the goodies- good quality cow’s milk, local oatmeal, honey and a good dollop of wild berry compote.Everything that is needed for a good morning, whether or not you overslept.
It’s what I like to call morning bliss.
Overnight Oats with Wild Berry Compote
2 decilitre quick oats
4 decilitre milk
1 decilitre yogurt
4 decilitre wild berries mix (or a mix of your favorite berries)
1/2 decilitre honey (if the berries are a bit tart)
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon water
- blend oats together with milk and yogurt and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day- add the berries in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for around 10 minutes.
- Add honey if needed.
- Dilute corn starch in water and stir it in the berry mix.
- Stir until thickned.
- Serve the overnight oats with warm (or cold) berry compote