Nordic Gingerbread Cookies
300 g butter
300 g sugar
2 dl syrup
2 dl full fat cream
2 tsp cloves
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp pepper
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
6 dl wheat flour
3 dl rye flour
1 egg white
- Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan.
- When the sugar is melted, add the cream and stir in.
- Add the spices and baking soda to the flour and shift it in the melted butter mix.
- Blend well and wrap the dough in cling film and leave over night in the fridge. Make it as flat as possible to make it easier to roll out.
- The next day, let it rest for an hour and preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 cm thick and use a cookie cutter to make different shapes and sizes.
- Bake in the oven for around 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Mix one egg white with icing sugar until quite solid.
- Put in an icing bag and decorate the ginger bread when completely cooled.
Recipe by My Nordic Kitchen at http://www.mynordickitchen.no/nordic-rye-gingerbread-cookies/