When I first started my path to a healthier life several years ago, nut butter was one of the first things I discovered. It was a great way to eat something healthy as well as sattisfying that sweet tooth I’ve always had. Nut butter is a very versatile food and can transform itself to cakes, cookies, savory sauces and so much more! It’s a great substitute for butter in many recipes for those wishing to cut out dairy from their diet.
While discovering this newly found treat, I also discovered a great little shop near the dome in Oslo who sells nuts in bulk of 1-2 kgs!, I was thrilled and began my nut butter journey shortly thereafter! I quickly discovered my love for roasted pecan nuts which has a great flavor and consistency, being slightly crispy to the bite. Pecan nut butter has become my all time favorite nut butter- so delicious I am reluctant to make it as I tend to eat a whole jar in a week! This Pecan Nut Butter with Maple syrup is perfect on my morning porridge, cereal bowl or on a crisp bread.
When making nut butter, I like to add a sweetener to it as the natural taste of nuts is slightly bitter. A touch of maple syrup, honey or agave syrup is a perfect way to reduce the bitterness and get a more round, beautiful flavor. You should try it! All you need is a strong food processor or blender, nuts, syrup and a touch of salt!
What are you waiting for? Go make this incredible nut butter straight away!
Pecan Nut Butter
1 kg pecan nuts
1 decilitre maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and roast the pecan nuts for 15-20 minutes. Make sure they don't burn.
- When cooled slightly, transfer to your food processor and blender and pulse until smooth. Be patient. The nuts will release the fat and eventually turn into liquid gold.
- Add maple syrup and salt and pulse again until blended.
- Transfer the nut butter to a sterilized jar and enjoy straight away.
- Keeps for a couple of weeks in room temperature.