30 tops of elderflower
1/2 kg sugar per litre liquid (organic, coconut sugar or honey will work)
25 g tartaric acid
6 cl aquavit
5 cl elderflower juice
a splash of lime
- Put elderflower in a pot with stems and all.
- Bring water to a boil in a boiler or seperate pot.
- Pour the boiling water over the elderflower and let sit for 2-4 days in the fridge. I prefer 2.
- Shift the flowers from the liquid and add sugar, lemons and tartaric acid.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool and transfer to clean glass bottles.
- For the cocktail mix elderflower juice with aquavit and lime in a shaker with ice.
- Strain and serve in decorated cocktail glasses.
You can easily make it non alcoholic by omiting the aquavit. Why not try with a good quality apple juice in stead?
I love everything sour- the sour the better. If it's too sour for you, add some syrup!
Recipe by My Nordic Kitchen at http://www.mynordickitchen.no/elderflower-cocktail-midsummer/